Monday, June 16, 2008

Obama, What's Important

In our father's time when asked "In life, what's important to you?", the most common answer would be God, Country and Family. It was called values. When Sen Obama was asked this question by a young man he answered with thoughtfulness, eloquence and undoubtedly said exactly what he thought was politically correct to win female voters.

"I don't know where to start on a question like that," Obama said. "Let me just say a couple things. Right now what I think about most is my daughters who are 10 and 7," he said, referring to his daughters Malia and Sasha. "And not that I'm biased but they are perfect in all ways."

He continued;

"when I was your age, I thought life was all about me. And how do I make my way in the world and how do I become successful and how do I get the things that I want. And right now life for me revolves around those two girls. And I think about what kind of a place am I leaving them."

"Michelle and I have been incredibly blessed," Obama said. "As long as God's looking over, my girls are going to be OK."

"They go to great schools, will be able to afford college, are in good health and will be well cared for if they ever get sick."

"Are they living in a county where there’s a huge gap between a few who are wealthy and a whole bunch of people who are struggling every day?" Obama asked. "Are they living in a county that is still divided by race?

"Are they living in a country where because they’re girls they don’t have as much opportunity as boys do?

"Are they living in a country where we are hated around the world because we don’t cooperate with other countries as effectively as we should? Are they living in a country where they are threatened by terrorism and a nuclear explosion could happen in a major American city? Are they living in a country in which because of a lack of sensible energy we are not only ransoming our future, but we’re also threatening the very livelihood of the planet?"

Like most of Obama's speeches and answers to simple questions he went on and on and on. It was only after he explained how blessed his family was and how well off his daughters are with the wealth he and Michele have been able to accumulate since leaving college, that he mentioned the state of America.

Like always he ended his answer/speech with; "So."

Unlike our fathers before us his first concern is to his two little daughters. This is admirable that he would put his kids before everything else including God and Country. Some people have some silly patriotic belief that God and Country are as important as family, how old fashioned. When Obama answered the young man, trying to appear as an older wiser father figure saying;

"when I was your age, I thought life was all about me. And how do I make my way in the world and how do I become successful and how do I get the things that I want.", I believe he is still living in the same time and deep down believes the same way. In order to make a better world for his daughters he must first think of "how do make I my way in the world and how do I become successful and how do I get the things that I want."

Times and values have changed in Obama's world and this is the change he will bring to all of America in 2009. It will be "Its all about me generation."

No comments:

Post a Comment